“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference”
Are Bad Attitudes Getting Old?
Most of us have at one time or another probably had to deal with individuals who are “sour grapes” or have a negative attitude and in all likelihood, we have all been guilty of having been a “sour grape!” Worse yet is working in an environment that overall is negative on an everyday basis.
Sometimes there are understandable triggers, such as downsizing, workload increases or some kind of change which leads to negative energy. But other times bad attitudes just become a way of life and a pattern or habit.
But whatever the cause, these symptoms are usually indicative of negativity in the workplace:
-Complaining and whining
-Focusing on problems instead of looking for solutions
-Poor customer service
So, what can you do to mitigate negative attitudes? Here are a few simple ideas:
- Don’t get hooked into complaint sessions and gossip. When faced with negative conversations, try changing the subject or switch the focus to a discussion of what can be done about it (solution-oriented).
- Focus on solutions not problems and issues not people. Identify the positives each day and talk about them. Recognize even the smallest actions that bring positive results.
- Hold team meetings and invite everyone on the staff to share their creative ideas on how to make the work environment more enjoyable. Make sure these are facilitated well to keep it from becoming a gripe session.
- Model positive behavior. Remember that while attitudes and great service start at the top of the organization, every single person is responsible for their own attitude! Managers who want their employees to have positive attitudes must demonstrate what that looks like through role modeling — every day.
- Acknowledge negativity because ignoring it will not make it go away. Pay attention to the frustrations and negative feelings and then ask the employee for their suggestions regarding what to do about the problems.
- Check your own attitude! If you find yourself faced with a bad attitude every day, perhaps it’s time to ask yourself why.
Your attitude about your life and your situation is entirely within your control. Life and time are precious. So don’t let negativity bring you or others down … be a part of the solution and not the problem.
Rural telephone companies across the country are experiencing a new challenge as many longtime employees reach retirement age. They are now forced to hire younger staff to fill the positions of those who have moved on to the next phase of their lives. This passing of the baton, so to speak, is creating a generational […]
There are a few things that all public power utilities have in common. They all want to enhance corporate results, boost morale, strengthen customer service and increase customer retention. But not all of them take advantage of a simple concept to achieve these goals – teamwork. A utility can realize significant accomplishments if all of […]
When the Internet craze first started, many companies created Web sites because a lot of other companies had them. They felt it was important to show they were keeping up with technology. But when they created their sites, many companies didn’t ask themselves what they wanted them to do. Public power utilities, take note! Every […]
A potential customer walks into your office. Her name is Jane and she has decided to move her kids out of the city to a more rural environment. She has a home-based business selling products over the Internet. She has telecommunications needs and she has come to you. When Jane paid a visit to your […]
When a rural telephone company loses a customer, it does not lose one sale but a lifetime opportunity of profitability with that individual. What could that customer have been worth? To determine the average lifetime value of customers, estimate how much they will spend with your company on an annual basis and multiply it by […]
The Pygmalion Effect comes from Greek mythology. Pygmalion, the King of Cyprus, carved an ivory statue of the ideal woman and named her Galatea. He had high expectations for his creation. Through his own will and help from the goddess Venus, Pygmalion brought Galatea to life. Fast-forward to 1968 and a classic study that showed […]
Utilities with new positions to fill face two problems – an overwhelming number of applicants and the challenge of hiring the right people. With so many people competing for jobs, applicants may say what they think the human resources department wants to hear to get the job. And while utilities strive to hire good people, […]
Customer service is simply people serving people. Employees at your utility are the people who create a service experience every time they come into contact with one of your customers. The question is, does every person at your utility really care about each customer? And does each customer feel like the company cares about them? […]
Everyone loves to belong, to be a part of something. How about the employees at your utility? Do they feel they’re part of a team? If you’re looking to enhance corporate results, boost morale, strengthen your customer service and increase customer retention, take a look at the structure you have in place to foster teamwork […]
In this rapidly changing economy, one of the biggest challenges telephone companies and other industries face is how to keep pace with the constantly evolving business world. Many companies seem to think the answer is to throw millions of dollars into technology that will help them “manage” their business. Unfortunately, telecoms and other companies fail […]