“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference”
Are Bad Attitudes Getting Old?
Most of us have at one time or another probably had to deal with individuals who are “sour grapes” or have a negative attitude and in all likelihood, we have all been guilty of having been a “sour grape!” Worse yet is working in an environment that overall is negative on an everyday basis.
Sometimes there are understandable triggers, such as downsizing, workload increases or some kind of change which leads to negative energy. But other times bad attitudes just become a way of life and a pattern or habit.
But whatever the cause, these symptoms are usually indicative of negativity in the workplace:
-Complaining and whining
-Focusing on problems instead of looking for solutions
-Poor customer service
So, what can you do to mitigate negative attitudes? Here are a few simple ideas:
- Don’t get hooked into complaint sessions and gossip. When faced with negative conversations, try changing the subject or switch the focus to a discussion of what can be done about it (solution-oriented).
- Focus on solutions not problems and issues not people. Identify the positives each day and talk about them. Recognize even the smallest actions that bring positive results.
- Hold team meetings and invite everyone on the staff to share their creative ideas on how to make the work environment more enjoyable. Make sure these are facilitated well to keep it from becoming a gripe session.
- Model positive behavior. Remember that while attitudes and great service start at the top of the organization, every single person is responsible for their own attitude! Managers who want their employees to have positive attitudes must demonstrate what that looks like through role modeling — every day.
- Acknowledge negativity because ignoring it will not make it go away. Pay attention to the frustrations and negative feelings and then ask the employee for their suggestions regarding what to do about the problems.
- Check your own attitude! If you find yourself faced with a bad attitude every day, perhaps it’s time to ask yourself why.
Your attitude about your life and your situation is entirely within your control. Life and time are precious. So don’t let negativity bring you or others down … be a part of the solution and not the problem.
Office squabbles aren’t much different than those we experience at home. Because we can’t typically choose our co-workers; personality and style differences can create conflict over petty issues. There can be squabbles over some pretty minor issues, such as room temperatures, empty paper trays, coffee pots left on the burner, jammed copy machines, job envy; […]
Modern selling strategies are centered on relationship selling. One’s ability to develop and maintain long-term customer relationships is the foundation for your personal and professional success. But this requires a very clear understanding of the dynamics of this process, from your perspective as well as your customers. For your customer, a buying decision usually means […]
Different needs motivate different people. Some of us are motivated by power, others by the need for achievement. Some want money while others want autonomy. Some would relish with public kudos while others would crawl into a closet! As a manager, it’s imperative that you know what motivates each of your employees, and then seek […]
Most of us have at one time or another had to deal with individuals who are “sour grapes” or have a negative attitude. Some of us have even had to work in an overall negative climate. With our current economic situation, many triggers exist that were not previously part of our work environment, such as […]
If you were to review the memories of your youth, chances are there is a teacher, friend, family acquaintance or maybe a coach whose name you still remember. You’ve interacted with scores of people over the years and their names and faces tend to fade. Yet, there is probably that one person who is indelibly […]
Every utility looks for ways to increase revenues and selling products beyond traditional power generation is one option. Some of you are selling the Wild Blue high-speed Internet service and if you aren’t, you probably are considering it. Wild Blue can be a great tool for growing revenues. This poses a challenge, however. Wild Blue […]
There isn’t a utility in existence that doesn’t make a mistake from time to time that impacts customers. The question is, are they properly reactive in solving the problem and are they proactive in their service so that customers always feel they are treated well? Here are some tips on reactive and proactive customer service. […]
“If you create an environment that motivates employees to turn the valve on full throttle, you can outperform any competitor any day of the week. Because when you boil it down, it’s the creativity, the longevity, the loyalty of the employee base that makes it all happen.” – Aon Consulting. Now that is a valuable […]
As more and more utilities invest in e-mail technology to provide customer support, it’s important that they strive to incorporate the human element into this technology. While e-mail can reduce the amount of time invested with each customer interaction, it’s important to realize that you are sacrificing the human element. To the greatest degree possible, […]
A recent Gallup survey of 55,000 employees matched the following attitudes directly to higher profits: Employees felt they had an opportunity every day to do what they do best They believed their opinion counted They sensed that their co-workers were committed to quality There was a direct connection of their work to the company’s mission […]